Monday 27 February 2017

Books I've been reading!

Monday has been full of gardening duties since it was a fabulous day today.

My pile of garden rubbish has been piled up since late autumn and today was the day it went onto the fire pit. Two well dried off Christmas trees, honeysuckle roots, pruning from my patio fruit trees, leycesteria formosa reeds, bamboo shoots and more! All gone now and the area they were drying off in is all cleared up. 

My garden sometimes has to take priority over my writing time since it's very weather dependent and has to be on days when I'm not on official grand kid minding duties. So although I managed no writing this afternoon the work made me remember to write a short review on books I've recently finished. My garden jobs today were much more onerous than those of Alice, the main character in Deborah Swift's The lady's Slipper, as Alice potters around in her potting shed trowel in hand. Here's a few observations about the novel. 




The Lady’s Slipper by Deborah Swift 


I enjoyed this book very much. It was full of rich detail of the era, the pace exciting and the character development very well done. The story line is intriguing and the subject matter of the aftermath of the Cromwellian revolution is well told where there was such division among families. Followers of the monarchy and King during the troubles had to ease back into a ‘normal’ life with the followers of Cromwell and the Parliamentarians- I think Deborah Swift has portrayed those dilemmas really well in The Lady’s Slipper. The characters are vivid, whether as a reader I admired them or not! A great read.



Slainthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)