Wednesday 18 January 2017

The Ashentilly Letters by Yvonne Marjot

Wednesday Review Update!

I am slowly adding more to my current writing but I'm also managing to read some fiction in between the non-fiction researching that I find totally compulsive. I'm also a little preoccupied with politics just now but being from Scotland that means it's about Brexit rather than the incoming Trump administration in the U.S. 

So, to the first review of the most recent fiction that I've read.  It's contemporary and published by Crooked Cat, the author being Yvonne Marjot. 

The Ashentilly Letters. 

I looked forward to part 3 of Cas Longmore’s story, having really enjoyed reading Books 1 & 2 of the series. The author’s excellent use of description continues, the geographical setting changing from Mull, Scotland, to New Zealand. The ties of home and family are more complex at this stage of Cas’ life and, indeed, she has to decide where ‘home’ actually is. Her loyalty to her grandparents is admirable but it comes with some very sad aspects. The author’s portrayal of the issues that must be overcome regarding Cas’ frail and aging grandparents is very realistic and believable- the continuation of Cas’ character development very well done! I was glad to read on and find that happiness was also there in New Zealand for Cas- meeting the new character named Collie was a pleasure!

The archaeological connection is covered differently in Book 3 from Books 1 & 2. In the first two books, the characters—Sam and archaeologist Niall—are actively involved in the ‘digs’ and are sharing the developments with Cas as they unfold. In Book 3 Sam is sharing ‘dig’ information via his letters to Cas, sent to New Zealand. Much as I loved the information that the letters contained, the author’s inclusion of this mechanism slowed down the pace for me. I hope, though, that anyone interested in learning a bit about Roman Scotland history will enjoy the read.

**********

I'll be posting the next book that I've read very soon - Roadkill by Marcia Woolf - and it's very different from TheAshentilly Letters. 

Slainthe!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)