Friday 24 May 2013

Familiarise Friday meets Nairn Malcolm



Familiarise Friday welcomes Nairn Malcolm from the contemporary, light-hearted, humorous, corporate sabotage mystery - Take Me Now

Nairn has been having quite a few, unexplained, work related problems. Someone tampered with his motorbike, the result being he's now sporting quite a few dramatic injuries, but he's determined to get on with things and has agreed to be interviewed. Here's what he had to say when I asked him some quick questions:

Where do you hail from?
I'm Scottish. I was brought up in Mariskay, the biggest town on the island of Lanera. That's an island off the west coast of Scotland, roughly opposite the mainland fishing town of Oban if you've ever heard of that?

I have!  I've seen Oban on the maps and have visited it myself. It's a lovely part of the world if you can stand its variable weather! Is that where you currently live?
Ah, great question! Not a simple answer, though. 
near Oban
My main base is meant to be at Garvald Castle, not far from Mariskay town, on Lanera. I’ve only lived at Garvald for the last few years since I had the shell of the old castle renovated, but I spend more time travelling and living in and out of hotels to keep my businesses going. I’ve got apartments in London and New York that reduce the hotel living a little bit. I fly in and out of London a lot so it makes sense to have an apartment there. I found this fantastic butler who keeps the place ticking over and doesn't fuss about me dropping past at zero notice. I've more business clothes there than at the castle and he's a whizz at organising anything I need. My Mediterranean villa on Corsica is a fantastic little place, but neglected since I don’t visit it very often. My mother hops over from Barcelona and stays in it more often than I do.

What would be your ideal place to stay for a month?
Nice one! Right now my ideal would be to stay at Garvald Castle and get healed quickly. I hate the nuisance factor of being wrapped in two bl**dy plaster casts, but at least at home I’d be able to fall over without embarrassing myself.
No…scratch that…my ideal would be to find a log cabin somewhere almost totally isolated and spend the time with Aela. No work, no mobile phone, no satellite communications- just nature and Aela.

What would you do there?
TMI. I'm not giving you all the details! 
I’d be fully fit, of course, and we’d go on hikes to acquaint ourselves with the area. We’d kayak the rivers and do a bit of hill walking- camp out for a night or two if that suited. We’d eat simply and do whatever the nearest locals do, find the watering spot and enjoy what local talent and entertainment might be around. A four by four would get us to some of the best views but we’d limit the time spent travelling in a car- I'm a soppy guy, I like holding her hand...

www.123rf.com
She's a lovely girl so I can understand that! Tell me 6 things about yourself.
I love flying myself around; I love my work; I love trying out new sports; I enjoy new places; I’m not very patient; I suppose I’m a bit restless.

How would Aela describe you?
Ah, well. I’m only just getting to know Aela but I’m pretty sure they’d be something like…overconfident; demanding; workaholic; funny (sometimes she laughs, but that might be at my battered state); hopefully generous and of course handsome.

The photograph here is from before your accident, but I can see what might make Aela think you a cool guy!

You've been having some problems lately and look like you need to change your lifestyle. What would you change first?
I’d cut down the work load since Aela is absolutely magic at helping in the office and with travelling. That would give more time to explore the bits of the world neither of us have visited-sometimes flying ourselves and sometimes just enjoying the places we visit using other transport like taking safari treks and stuff like that. Of course, I’d have to persuade her to stay with me in the long term for that to happen. I guess the very first changes will be for me to do whatever it takes for me to persuade her to be my girl forever.

What leisure pursuits would you want to take up in 2013?
Well… I’ve tried everything I have on offer at Adrenalinn Adventuring -that’s my adventure sports business- except the newest one that will be starting soon. In a nutshell, it’s a cross between a bungee jump and skiing—or cycling—off a ramp over a valley, or a canyon. And I’d obviously like to try any sports Aela has done that I haven’t tried yet.

Wow! Still the thrill seeker. I thought seeing the state you're currently in that you'd say that you'd be taking up stamp collecting or something sedentary. 

Me? No chance. Except if Aela persuaded me otherwise.

Another question. What’s your most favourite way to travel?
Flying my floatplane is the best thing ever.

What kind of novels do you tend to read? 
I don’t have much time for novels. I mostly read economics, or adventure sports, magazines but I like thrillers when I have the opportunity. And mystery or adventure novels which highlight lovely world destinations- especially places I’ve never been to yet, but so well described that it makes me want to hop right into my jet and go and visit. 

Thanks for a great interview, Nairn. Here's to your full recovery and to getting that future with Aela sorted out. I hear she's a lass with a mind of her own, so you might just have to work quite hard to persuade her that you're her forever guy.  


 Amazon UK 
 ...And other ebook stores
  
View Youtube trailer   http://youtu.be/stDC4Yhm2r0
Blurb:

Nairn Malcolm’s looking for the impossible. He needs a highly skilled, enterprising aide who’ll be at his beck and call 24/7. No ordinary Jane Doe will do. He doesn’t expect the only candidate who drops in at his Scottish castle for an interview to be so competent…or so stunning.
Aela Cameron’s got exactly the right mix of talents to satisfy all Nairn Malcolm’s needs, and more. She loves the jobs he needs done, adores his castle, and finds his frenetic lifestyle energising. But she’s only looking for temporary: not to fall in love with the man.
Can Nairn convince Aela she’s tailor-made for him in every way…and not a passing fancy?    




Slainthe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please pop your thoughts about this post in the comment box. :-)